Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Teaser!! Mini Caramelized Banana Cheesecakes (Sucre brûlé on top)

Hi Guys!

If you love cheesecake, bananas, an Oreo crust and creme brulee...you will loooove this recipe. This actually has nothing to do with creme brulee though, except for the crispy sugar coating over my sliced banana topping.

I discovered this recipe at a great restaurant which was a favorite of ours. I say "was" because unfortunately it is now closed. It was called Savannah and they were specialized in Southern Soul food with a sophisticated side - kind of Soul food haute cuisine, if you will.  They had a fantaaastic wine list - reasonably priced. The menu was complete with lots of seafood - especicically Crab dishes, spicy shrimp,  gumbo.... they had the best ribs, collard greens, black eyed peas...the whole nine yards! On their brunch menu, they even had Grits!! (Does the mention of grits remind you of "My Cousin Vinny" too?? lol)  - I truly miss you Savannah!

You can make individual cheesecakes, like me or you can make a full sized cake with this recipe.

I used 12 medium sized ramekins (3" in diameter) / or use a 9" spring form pan.


To make the "brulee" sugar topping like the professionals, you should have a chef's propane torch. They're small and easy to use like this one, which I googled. You can find one at Ares kitchen supplies http://www.arescuisine.com/ or at Tzanet http://www.tzanet.com/en/contactus.html
 









However, if you don't have a torch, you can put them in the oven on broil until you get the desired result. Keep your eye on it though! It doesn't take much for it to burn.


Well.......I didn't have a torch so my boyfriend lent me his. As it is not meant for cooking, it was a little bigger ..lol..

 Say hello to my little friend..


I kinda' burned a few along the way.

What do you expect with this freakin' flame thrower!?


Luckily, I had 12 mini cheesecakes to do...lotsa' practice!





Dialog overheard..."Adjust the valve!" 
"The flame is too high...now its too low!"  You're too close....you're too far...move faster!!...It's burning! SHUT IT OFF, I DON'T KNOW HOW!!" ..."YOU BURNT MY EYE! " 
(just kidding - no humans were harmed during this recipe and no eyebrows missing)


They were still excellent but a little on the dark side.




1 comment:

  1. nice post! made me smile. Too bad you didnt save any for your BELOVED SISTER to taste!

    ReplyDelete