Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Naan Bread - A l'Italiano

Helloooo,



















This easy recipe is a new favorite...so versatile!

What's Naan, you ask?

Naan is a leavened, oven-baked flatbread. It is one of the most popular varieties of South Asian breads and is particularly popular in the India, Afghanistan, Iran, United Kingdom, Pakistan, and the Xinjiang Region of China, where it is considered the staple food.

....and you can't forget that Naan bread is soft, comforting, goes with anything and is usually served warm You'd wanna rub them on your cheeks on a cold day.

Its actually Emeril Lagasse's recipe (BAM!) I love him, as you must know by now. However I changed it up and made it "a l'Italiano" .I can't understand it..it was like a compulsion! I couldn't leave them plain.
I had to top them with stuff - must be the Pizza gene.


Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon dried active yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup warm water, about 110 degrees F
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed while kneading
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup clarified butter or vegetable oil, plus 1 teaspoon
Optional:
  • Fresh Rosemary and Thyme - leaves removed and finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • Olive oil

Directions

In a glass-measuring cup, combine the yeast and sugar. 


Add the water and stir well. Let rest until foamy, about 5 minutes. Sift together the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast mixture and oil into the center. Mix together with your fingers until a smooth dough forms, working in a small amount of additional flour as needed. Knead for 3 minutes.

Oil a small bowl with the remaining butter or oil. Place the dough into the bowl, turning to coat, and let rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Divide the dough into 6 pieces and gently roll into 6 circles on a lightly floured surface. Bake on a baking stone, or a lightly greased baking sheet, until just golden brown and puffed, about 12 minutes.

























Now, after I rolled out my dough, I brushed the dough with olive oil, minced garlic,












Sprinkled Rosemary and Thyme
 











I made some plain ones too and when they were hot outta the oven , I brushed melted butter on them.
SO GOOD!













I have to admit something. I think I overcooked my Naans because they were crispy and they're supposed to be softer.

Next time they'll be better!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment